Friday, July 25, 2014

Blues, Blues and more Blues!

Unfortunately, I'm singing the blues today. My two chronic conditions are flaring, leaving not enough energy to write my usual blog! Bummer! So this will be short and quick. 

You can expect to find blueberries at the HFM. I hope to buy a quantity of them, meaning $20-$30 worth. I did this two years ago, and froze them in aluminum foil packages, in the size I would use at any one time. My husband and I enjoyed them all winter long. I make killer blueberry pancakes, that we both enjoy. This is unusual, because he's diabetic and I'm celiac, so finding something we both can eat and enjoy is "priceless". Last summer, however, I didn't buy in quantity when young Justin, of Nightengale Produce, suggested I do so. I told him I just wasn't prepared to do that, thinking to myself I would bring more money the next week to make my purchase. Wrong! I did bring the extra cash...but the blueberry season was ended! So I had to buy frozen blueberries from the local Kroger/Meijer's. Not bad stuff, but just not the same enjoyment, and I kicked myself all winter. 
Here's a fun recipe for blueberry syrup
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, 1 cup sugar, 9Tbs. fresh lemon juice.
     In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine all the ingredients. Bring to simmer slowly, stirring until all of the berries have popped, aboutr 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
Next day: remove the mixture from the refrigerator. Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer, or cheesecloth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Blueberry Soda
For one drink, fill a tall glass with ice. Add 3 Tbs. of the blueberry syrup, top with seltzer, and mix gently.

AND, of course, the syrup can be used straight up on your pancakes! Enjoy!
Okay, so this blog isn't very short, is it?! Once I get going, it's hard to stop. There's so much to love at the market. Oh! Did I mention music? One of my fave performers, Professor Geezer will be playing from 11:00-1:00. 
REMEMBER IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY AT THE HOLT FARMERS' MARKET!  

No comments:

Post a Comment