Friday, June 27, 2014

Today at the Holt Farmers' Market I arrived just in time to buy the LAST TWO quarts of strawberries available! Yes, I admit it  was close to 1:00, but Nightengale Farms only had one quart left, and Greenman Farm was selling their last 25 (!) quarts to a woman planning to make lots of jam. I asked if I could have just one, and she graciously agreed...luckily. If I'd had to fight her for it, a lot of wonderful, delicious, red strawberries would have gotten smashed in the process! What a mess it would have made! Just kidding. I'm actually a peaceful person. But it makes me laugh to visualize red berries flying through the air, getting smashed on the floor, in our hair, dripping down our faces, staining hands, police arriving, scandal at the market. Too funny!

The reality is that I got the strawberries, plus  a sweet Vandalia onion, two large Michigan apples (!) and asparagus from Greenman Farm. Happy day for me: I got the last gluten-free brownie from Cupcakes with Love. She promised she'd have more next week. 

Today's feature is Break O'Day Farm, where I purchased wonderful eggs from free-range hens fed with organic feed. Corinne and her helper also sell frozen chickens that were pasture raised, but not organic. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see a picture of rabbits. Yes, she raises and sell rabbits as well as poultry, all of which are hormone free and antibiotic free. Of course Corinne is creative as well...most of our vendors are...and she made the Break O'Day Farm sign above her stand out of fabric scraps. It looks even prettier seen in person. Her stand is usually the first one you'll see when you enter the larger building. Say hello, and check out her wares. Oh! She also sells home-made gluten-free baked goods. I had to mention that of course!
THIS SATURDAY AT THE HFM: Greenman Farms expects to have lots of Chard (also known as Swiss Chard, don't ask me why)and I've been told it's the "healthiest green around." Also, fresh mint, oregano, and chives. A few strawberries, perhaps, and a limited amount of asparagus. Rhubarb and NEW: there may be a few quarts of raspberries
HINT: if you want any of those probably-sparse items, get there early! Do as I say, not as I do! Right? I'll let you know if I get any of those raspberries when I arrive at 1:00. Also: live music from 11:00-1:00
REMEMBER IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY AT THE HOLT FARMERS' MARKET!

No comments:

Post a Comment