Thursday, July 18, 2013

Michigan's Abundance at the Holt Farmers Market, July 20, 2013

   The abundance of Michigan's produce will be flowing into the Holt Farmers' Market this Saturday: Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to see the list of locally/Michigan grown goodies you can expect to see this Saturday.
 As for last Saturday, I may have bought a little more than usual, because there was so much to buy! My checkbook is safe when I shop at Kohl's or Younkers, but not so much at the market!  But I'm getting quite good at handling the fresh produce, and I'm happy to say I didn't have to throw anything out due my slowness in processing the items.  I froze some items  and happily ate the rest.
Sold-out: Rowe's Farm sold out of virtually everything again! So if you get there later in the day, as I usually do, feel free to stop and talk to Gary Rowe. Ask him about his kohlrabi. He's great to talk to.

Another sold-out: Rainbow's End farm sold out of carrots unexpectedly. They'll have more this Saturday, as well as lots of other chemical-free goods. I eyed their large cabbages, didn't get one, but will this week. Ask Gwen or Deepa how to make easy sauerkraut (tip: they don't use crocks anymore).
FEATURED CRAFTER: Elaine Ernst of
AUNT LAIN'S QUILTS 



Elaine's love of quilting emanates from the beautiful colors of her creations. " I have a GREAT time sewing my quilts. It is just  pure joy for me." It must be so, for she's been known to awake at 2:00a.m. with a great idea and get up and sew for hours to finish the inspiration. Elaine creates all her own designs, and all are sold ready-to-hang. She makes little wall quilts,  purses, and the utterly charming, all cotton dolls in the photo. Elaine has been sewing since childhood, when she learned how to sew on a treadle sewing machine. Her legs were tooshort to reach the treadle, so her father had to make an adjustment for her. You'll find her in the smaller building on the north side of the market.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR THIS SATURDAY:
Swiss chard, cabbage, cauliflower (from Michigan's thumb) pickling cucumbers and "regular" cucumbers, zucchini and summer squash, Mich sweet cherries and blueberries, a few strawberries and red raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, rhubarb and fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme, mint, oregano, onion chives, garlic chives, AND at long last: candy onions, the sweetest onion grown in Mich.
TIP from Dennis Greenman of Greenman Farms: to order items in quantity, please order in advance. Pick up vendors' business cards for contact information.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment