Friday, September 12, 2014

Tips 'N' Tales

 It has been so chilly these past two days, that it doesn't seem right to blog about sweet corn, does it?!! I can only hope there is some corn at the Holt Farmers' Market this Saturday because I'm just not done with it yet! And what about peaches? Tomatoes? I'm not done with summer, either, not that it matters to the powers that be. Anyway, I'll write about corn etc. for the last time this season, and next week get into more about autumn produce.
 TIPS: on storing: store corn in 'fridge in its husk. 
            best time to eat: as soon as possible after picking/buying it
            on safety: keep it away from fresh, raw meat,poultry and seafood both in your shopping bag and at home. Juices from raw meat etc. will contaminate corn...and all veggies...and that's BAD.
             to grill: Peel back husk and remove silk. Replace husk. Soak corn in cold water for 5 minutes (or wrap in aluminum foil if no husk). Put on hot grill for 8-15 minutes. 
MORE GRILLING: Yes, my other half has promised to NOT put away the grill yet, so: 
Grilled Eggplant
Put thick slices of eggplant, seasoned with garlic, herbs and olive oil on the grill for a dish as "satisfying as a piece of meat," says Chef Tsai. "Seasoning is key: salt takes the bitterness out of eggplant and accentuates the sweetness of tomatoes and other produce." 

TALES: Talking about grilling veggies: well, my other half loved eating summer squash, zucchini and peppers. We grilled them with olive oil and garlic salt and he LOVED them. I called the summer squash a "summer veggie" since he doesn't like squash. I think I can grill/roast any veggie, doused in oil and garlic, and he'll eat it. I will, too! They were really, really tasty. Who knew?

One more tale: About kale: so far this year I've eaten kale in a smoothie, liked it, plus I felt quite virtuous in doing so. I've also eaten it in salads where it provides an extra crunch without overwhelming the other flavors, and last night I made kale "chips" which I'm beginning to like. Easy enough: remove stems from kale, tear the leaves into small, chip-size pieces, put on baking sheet with...you guessed it: sprinkled with olive oil and garlic salt. Baked for 10-12 minutes in a 400 degree oven, and voila! a healthy, crispy snack that you, too, can feel virtuous about eating! 
      Thanks for stopping by; hope to see you at the Holt Farmers' Market, if not tomorrow, than soon. You'll be glad you did.

REMEMBER IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN THE HOLT FARMERS' MARKET!

No comments:

Post a Comment