Friday, June 28, 2013

Holt Farmers' Market, June 29, 2013


Holt Farmers' Market, June 29,2013
 
 
 
 
Okay, so I didn't freeze my strawberries last Saturday. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter, Eliana, drove up from Cincinnati and spent the week-end with us. They bought strawberries at the HFM, too, so I showed them how to wash the berries in water and apple cider vinegar ( 10 parts water to one part vinegar), so they'll last longer. Then we ate them as snacks. Yes, they were awesome. Beautifully red all the way through, delicious and sweet all the way through, juicy as could be. California berries don't even come close...although I admit to reluctantly buying them in the off-season. I don't know if there will be any strawberries sold tomorrow; I can only hope!
 
If not strawberries, there will be plenty of items to enjoy. And some fun activities as well. There will be music by Mark Grinnell (brother to Market manager, Chuck Grinnell...who is also a musician, I might add) from 11:00-1:00.  AND there will be the first ever Golumbki Eating Contest, starting at noon.
 
 
Each week I'll try and include some useful tips on topics like buying fresh produce, safe handling and storage, preparation of produce and a recipe or two. So this week's tip clarifies which fruits and veggies need to be refrigerated, and those that can be kept at room temperature:
REFRIGERATE: apples, beans,berries,broccoli, carrots. celery, cheeries, eggplant, peppers, leafy greens, zucchini, herbs and any cut produce.
ROOM TEMPERATURE: melons, onions, pears, peached, potatoes, beets, tomatoes, and winter squash.
 
Remember, if it rains tomorrow:
 
It's always sunny inside the Holt Farmers' Market 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment